The foundation of Antalya Training and Research was laid in 1918 by Italians and the institution served under the title of Italian Hospital until 1920. In 1920, the hospital continued to serve the public under the title of Gureba Hospital in the upper part of Mermerli District during the mayorship of Dizdarzade Rıza Efendi with 20 beds; the polyclinic services were provided in a modified house opposite of the hospital. Since the hospital did not have a permanent staff of doctors and nurses, health services were provided by the doctor of the municipality. The hospital faced the threat of being shut off in a few years and was saved by the municipality. In 1925, Gureba Hospital had 1 chief physician, 3 doctors and a capacity of 30 beds; in 1930, it was passed onto special administration under the title Memleket (Motherland) Hospital. At first, the hospital only had internal diseases and external disease units; in 1935, a department for obstetrics and gynecology was added. The capacity of the hospital was increased to 90 in 1952, and 200 in 1968.